Events and Traditions
events and traditions in corsica
You've chosen to take your holiday in Lumio? Residence Arinella offers everything you need for a perfect stay on the Isle of Beauty. Here you will find some of the activities to do on holiday in Corsica.
LUMIO AND THE SURROUNDING AREAS: THINGS TO SEE AND DO ON YOUR HOLIDAY
It would be difficult to stay at Residence Arinella, without visiting the village of Lumio. Situated at 200m above sea-level, the village has a fantastic panoramic view. It is also home to the Roman church of St Pierre, built in the 11th century. Don't forget to visit the abandoned village of Occi, just above Lumio.
Calvi is only 11km away, and the town has some beautiful jewels such as the church of Santa Maria, and the Oratory of St Antoine. Not forgetting the beach of L'Alga with its fine white sand and crystal clear water, which looks exactly like a picture postcard.
L'Ile Rousse is also well worth a visit - less than 20 minutes away from the Residence - the town is well known for its breathtaking sunsets, perfect for a romantic end to the day. There are plenty of other places to visit between Calvi and L'Ile Rousse - don't forget to get out and visit them.
Calendar of events and fairs
- Saint Erasme Festival, June 2, in Calvi - fisherman's festival.
- Cavall'in Festa June 9 - 11
- Hunting and Fishing Festival, June 24 - 25 Fiera di a Caccia e di a Pesca
- Feu de la St Jean, L'Ile Rousse - June 24
- International Open Squash Ile Rousse from June 25 to July 1st Squash Ile Rousse
- Cavi on the Rocks - 30 June - 5 July
- Luri Wine Fair on July 8 & 9 - Foire de Luri
- Festival Estivoce Pigna from July 10 to 13 - Centre Culturel Voce
- Festivities for July 14 : Fireworks displays in Calvi and Ile- Rousse - Balagne-Corsica.com
- A Girandulata , Sporting event - Speloncato July 22 - Squash Ile Rousse
- Olive Fair Montemaggiore July 15-16 - Visit-Corsica.com
- Guitar Festival in Patrimonio from July 18 to 25: Festival de la Guitare
- Festival du Film Lama Film Festival from July 29 to August 4
- Almond Festival, Aregnu on August 5 to 7 the Fiera di l'Amandulu
- Porto Latino Festival in Saint Florent from August 5 to 8
- Son et Lumieres , with fireworks August 15 in Calvi - Balagne Corsica.com
- Classical and contemporary Music Festival Calenzana of August 17 to 22 - Musique Calenzana
- Bread Fair in Lumio, August 12 - 13
- L'Ile Rousse Fair September 22 to 24
- Petanque Challenge Pascal Paoli in Ile- Rousse from September 15 to 17 - SPIRB Ile-Rousse
- Polyphonic singing Festival in Calvi September 12 to 16- L'Invitu
- A Paolina, Marathon from L'Ile Rousse to Morosaglia - October 7th - Course A Paolina
- Historic Vintage cars Rallye October 2 to 7: Corsica Tour 2016
- Chocolate Fair in Bastia October 19 to 22
Corsica and music
We invite you to discover the website L'Invitu. This site was put together by someone with a love and passion for Corsica. He shares this passion through music, polyphonic singing, artists ...
Speloncato, La Montagne des Orgues
The Christian marks on an island
- Easter : The Granitula is a procession which is practiced throughout Corsica on Good Friday. It traces the long ordeal of Christ carrying his cross.
A procession "Granitula di Calvi", took place on Good Friday evening with the presence of two hooded penitents carrying the cross in turn. The procession goes from the Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in the Citadel to the church of Santa Maria Maggiore in town. They are accompanied by members of the brotherhoods of Saint Erasmus and Saint Antoine. On the forecourt of the church, singing sacred complaints, they form "A Granitula" symbolic penitential procession, which consists of a spiral that winds in a snail shape.
- L'ile-Rousse celebrate Saint Erasmus, Patron Saint of fishermen. Pilgrimage and procession. The statue of Saint Erasmus embarked aboard a fishing boat
The Virgin Mary
The Virgin Mary is the protective mother of all Corsicans, venerated and adored all over the island. The Corsican anthem is the "Dio vi salvi Regina", a song of love and prayer dedicated to the Saint of Saints. A relatively unknown fact, is that before Pascal Paoli gave the island its emblem of the Moor's head, it was the Blessed Virgin who took its place; and although she has now disappeared from the flag, she remains in the hearts of the islanders. Assumption Day is celebrated on August 15, and also her birthday on September 8, when thousands of pilgrims pay their respects.